Title: Legal Assistant
Salary: $12-$15 per hour (depending on experience)
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Location: Atlanta, GA
Type: Part-Time (20 hours per week, 3 days a week)
The Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network (GAIN), a nonprofit organization that provides free legal representation in immigration matters to persecuted asylum seekers and immigrant victims of human trafficking, domestic violence and sexual assault, is seeking a part-time legal assistant. Responsibilities include:
- Providing Administrative Support to the Lead Attorney and Asylum Attorney at GAIN.
- Drafting and Preparing immigration forms for clients’ filings with USCIS and EOIR.
- Answering incoming calls, reviewing messages and responding to questions from potential clients
- Communicating with clients and pro bono attorneys concerning open legal matters.
- Assists in maintaining Attorneys’ calendars by planning and scheduling consultations, recording and monitoring court and interview dates, and filing requirements;
- Monitoring evidence gathering and supporting document gathering for cases.
- Communication with clients or volunteer attorneys; following up on delegated assignments and knowing when to act and when to refer matters to an attorney.
- Maintains client confidence by keeping attorney/client information confidential and privileged.
- Maintaining, filing and archiving case files.
- Preparing client correspondence
- Drafting flyers, fact sheets, check lists, etc. for our clients and volunteer attorneys.
- Assisting with Database administration
- Maintaining database by tracking clients, attorneys, legal matters and all relevant communications.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position requires a very high level of organization, a strong work ethic, intuition, the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously, and excellent attention to detail. Applicant should also be able to represent GAIN in communicating professionally with clients and with volunteer attorneys. Applicant should be a fast learner and possess strong computer skills, including proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, and understanding of database administration. Excellent oral and written communication skills are required. Office experience preferred. There is also potential for this position to turn into a full-time position. Applicant must be comfortable working in a law firm environment and fluency in Spanish (speaking/writing) is mandatory.
This is an ideal position for someone looking to gain insight into public interest law and/or the nonprofit community. For more information about GAIN, please visit us at www.georgiaasylum.org
How to Apply:
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and resume to Mikaela Houghton, firstname.lastname@example.org