This article effectively lays out the problems and stages of asylum in the U.S. today:
- Asylum seekers entering the country increased by almost 6-fold in 4 years.
- There is a fear that many claims are fraudulent.
- During the legal process, many unauthorized immigrants are allowed to work legally on de facto permits.
- The process can take years.
- Severe restrictions make it very difficult for lower-skilled workers to enter the U.S. legally.
- There is a difference between entering unlawfully and applying for asylum at a port of entry.