Title: Development & Communications Associate
Reporting to: Director of Development
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Location: Atlanta, GA
Type: Full Time
The Georgia Asylum & Immigration Network (GAIN), is a respected and award-winning nonprofit organization that provides free legal representation in immigration matters to asylum-seekers and immigrant victims of human trafficking, domestic violence, sexual assault, and other crimes. GAIN is a client-centered and trauma-informed work environment. GAIN employees engage in ethical practice, empower survivors when interacting with various systems, and build trustworthy, reliable relationships to support and foster safety, healing and resilience for survivors and their children.
The Development & Communications Associate will work closely with GAIN’s Executive Director, Director of Development, legal team, and leadership to execute the tactics and strategies in GAIN’s Communications Plan and Resource Development Plan of Work. This position is expected to spend 35% of work time on communications and outreach in support of survivors and 65% on fundraising, special events, and donor communications. Responsibilities include:
Communications & Outreach:
● Lead digital communications efforts with the goal of connecting immigrant victims of crime and persecution with legal services.
● Manage the monthly communications content calendar to schedule email, social media, and website updates. Create visual content, including Adobe Spark videos and Canva graphics, and ensure that all channels regularly provide resources for survivors and volunteers.
● Highlight community partnerships with the goal of reaching clients and offering high-quality legal and social service referrals.
● Draft, coordinate review, and send quarterly newsletters and other ad hoc emails using MailChimp, ensuring GAIN client-centered voice.
● Manage projects for internal collaborative communications/outreach initiatives, including creating client and volunteer outreach materials such as giveaways, brochures, PowerPoint presentations, know your rights information, etc.
● Manage timeline and content collection for the annual impact report. Work closely with organization leadership to authentically reflect our client experiences and our mission.
● Prepare reports to show client impact and draft flyers and fact sheets, etc. for volunteers and clients.
● Process incoming donations and ensure data integrity by effectively managing gift entry in the Salesforce CRM system.
● Pull regular reports in Salesforce.
● Manage gift acknowledgement letters in a timely and professional manner.
● Conduct prospect research and prepare donor reports as needed.
● Maintain the development calendar to meet all development deadlines.
● Coordinates with the Director of Development team to write, schedule and send appeal letters and emails to donors. Assists in development of appeal strategies and timing.
● Assist with donor stewardship activities, including collaboration with the Director of Development and Executive Director for stewardship emails.
● After training, take on a leadership role in planning and executing 3-5 smaller events each year, including the Summer Associate Reception for volunteer recruitment, documentary film screening for awareness-building, and others as approved. Maintain guest lists, track responses, prepare outreach materials and other duties as necessary for special events.
● Create or coordinate all print and digital assets for special events, in compliance with GAIN brand standards.
● Project and timeline management for the annual Go Formal For Freedom gala.
● Coordinate gala live and silent auctions, including working with Board volunteers to solicit and evaluate auction gifts, and owning and updating the running list of items.
● Setup and management of OneCause event software, including website setup, auction item import and management, ticket sale management, and regular reporting.
● Manage calendaring and timelines for grant applications. Assist with grant research and writing as needed.
● Maintain a donor-centered voice in appeals and donor communications, empowering donors to see the impact of their gifts through GAIN’s work in the community.
● Attend Board of Directors meetings and take minutes. Coordinate Board packets with handouts for each meeting. Attend and assist with committee meetings as needed.
● Additional duties as assigned.
Candidates should have proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and proficiency with Salesforce Nonprofit Starter Pack or other CRM systems is strongly preferred. This position requires a high level of organization, excellent attention to detail, and the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously. Successful applicants will possess excellent oral and written communication skills, and will quickly learn to manage relationships with multiple stakeholders, such as clients, funders, volunteer attorneys and board members. 1-2 years experience in nonprofit fundraising, marketing, or related experience preferred.
GAIN encourages candidates from all backgrounds, and is willing to train promising candidates who lack some of the listed qualifications.