Now in its second year, GAIN has partnered with the International Rescue Committee (IRC) in Atlanta to extend our reach and create partnerships with local refugee resettlement agencies, including our new Pro Se Asylum Clinics for Afghans in Georgia. At the clinics, each participant’s visit starts with an orientation: attorneys and legal volunteers in one room, and clients — alongside a translator speaking Dari or Pashto — in another. While the volunteers learn about the protected grounds for asylum and what questions to ask, the client families learned about their possible pathways to legal status in the U.S., what it means to be targeted as an individual, and how the process works. By the end of the day, each family will map out their declaration — an important first step towards asking for asylum in the U.S.
Since August 2021, Project Ally has:
- filed over 200 applications for humanitarian parole
- engaged more than 30 volunteer attorneys to work with Afghan clients
- launched a series of pro se asylum clinics to help Afghan families
- built pathways toward closer collaboration with our partners, including resettlement agencies
As we work to assist our Afghan neighbors through immigration services, we will need your support in three major ways:
- We need donations, which will cover the cost of this effort, clients’ filing fees, interpretation and translation, etc. Donate now to fund GAIN’s work, or give a designated donation to Project Ally.
- We need volunteers. We are consistently recruiting legal and non-legal volunteers through a sign-up form to help with intakes/screenings, provide language assistance (especially in Farsi or Pashto), and assist with immigration filings for the families who qualify.
- We need you to spread the word. We have an ongoing need for community outreach to families in need of assistance, funders, and volunteers. Help us spread the word by sharing this webpage with your networks or contact GAIN to request more information about how you can help.
To request information about immigration assistance for Afghan nationals, or for volunteer information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.